Monday, August 13, 2007

Six Month Doctor's Visit

Lauren went to the doctor today for her six month doctor's visit. We saw Dr. Menkus at 3:00 in the afternoon - not the best time to bring two kids to the doctor! We left a little early because I thought we'd hit some school traffic (it was the first day of school today) and we arrived at the doctor's office about 20 minutes early. We waited in the waiting room until 3:15 (yes, 35 minutes) and then we went back into the other "waiting" room. Lauren got measured and weighed and she is growing well. She is 26 inches tall (55%), 14 lbs 8 oz (20%) and her head is 42.5 cm (49%). So, she's long and skinny - sound familiar. She still weighs less than Will at this age and I'm not sure about the height. I don't remember that one and I'd have to look it up. We waited longer to see the doctor and I thought I would lose my mind. There's something about a tired 3 year old and a tired 6 month old in a small room that can just drive you crazy. Dr. Menkus came in to see Lauren and she said that Lauren looks great. The doctor noticed Lauren's strength as she sat up perfectly for her. I told Dr. Menkus that Lauren is starting to pull up (she can either get into a squatting position or she gets onto her knees) and she will reach for toys out of her reach and "crawl" her hands to them until she falls on her belly and scoots. We talked about feeding and she said that everything looks great. Lauren is still waking up in the middle of the night and so we talked about that. I'm still not sure if she's hungry or if she just wants attention. She was sleeping the night at 4 months until she got that awful ear infection (the one that took three trips to the doctor and three different antibiotics to clear it up) and then the time change from our trip to CA got her a little turned around. I know she just got through a growth spurt because she was eating a TON of food and now she is back to "normal." We'll see about the night time feeding - it would be nice to sleep. Lauren got her two shots and one oral immunization and we went home. When we got home, Will wanted to play outside, Lauren wanted to eat and go to sleep, and Mollie needed a bath because she pooped in her crate while we were gone and she got poop all over her. Talk about a fun afternoon. I got the dog cleaned while Lauren screamed (sweet Will tried to calm her down and he found a pacifier and kept trying to put it in her mouth - she's never liked her pacifier....), I nursed Lauren and put her down for a nap, got my potato casserole in the oven, got the chicken out to defrost, and then Will and I went outside to play. While we were outside, I hosed down the dirty bedding and ran back inside to put it in the washer. Mollie enjoyed drying outside and Will played with the girls. What an evening. Here is a picture of Mollie sleeping - she's been sleeping on her back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the updates on the children (all 3 of them). I know how frustrating it can be to sit in the doctor's office, but like everything else it gets better as they get older.
Julie, you are such a wonderful mother to the children and they (and us) are very lucky to have you. Sometimes, looking back, I don't know how Joe and Len ever coped with childhood. I certainly didn't know all of the right things to do for them the way that you do. I love all of you very much !!!

Love,
Nonnie

Anonymous said...

Julie,

I've been in your shoes, although it seems like so long ago, and yet not so long ago! Now that my kids are older, I almost miss those days (notice I said almost!). It sure does wear a mom out to wait in a doctor's office! Just remember, these days pass by very quickly. Yes, all those elderly ladies in the grocery store are right - cherish them!

B. Rehmel