Thursday, August 13, 2009

Kindergarten

Kindergarten..... Wow. I can hardly believe that our little boy is old enough to be going to school all day. Yes, Joe and I believe that all day Kindergarten is a little long, but we know that Will is ready for it. He was so excited to go to school yesterday, and yes, he was a little scared, too. But, honestly, think about it - most adults would be nervous going to a new school (or a new job) where you barely know anybody in your class. He's a brave little guy. I went into Will's room to wake him up at 6:30 and he was already awake. He had heard us going up and down the stairs (Joe went running a little earlier so that he'd be home when we had to leave for school.) He ate a big breakfast and talked non-stop. We went back upstairs and he brushed his teeth and got dressed while I woke up Lauren and got her dressed. That right there is the most difficult part of school. I have to pull Lauren out of bed to get into the car so we can take Will to school. Worse yet, I have to get her dressed because we're walking him into class right now - you know, so he doesn't get lost finding his room. I guess that will get easier. We left the house at 7:10 and drove to school. Will got settled and we left. He was really happy that he was sitting next to Erika from preschool. The only familiar face in his class! God really takes care of him! All ready to go to school - and yes, it's dark out!
Oh that look..... Is my mommy really going to leave me here? No tears (from either of us)! Saying the pledge (thank goodness he knew it!)

Looking around.... sitting next to Erika.
When I picked Will up he looked exhausted. His teacher said that he was "shell shocked" most of the day, but that he did everything he was supposed to do. I'm guessing he didn't say much the entire day! He brought home some "work" he had done. He told me about his "star" system (discipline) and that the class earned a lot of bears (reward system). He talked about gym class and music class, recess, lunch, and center time. He hasn't made any new friends, but I'm sure that will happen soon. While I was tucking him in last night, he just kept going on and on about his day at school. His eyes kept closing half way and then he'd jerk them open and start talking again. I asked him if he was excited about going to school tomorrow, and he perked up and said that he was. Off to sleep.....
Well, we're over that hurdle.... what's next?

No comments: