Thursday, July 19, 2007

3 Year Old Check-up/Ear Infection Check-up

Yesterday was a terrific day! Will and Lauren both saw Dr. Ison - Will had his three year old check-up and Lauren had an ear check for her ear infection.

Will is doing great! He got his blood pressure taken and they had a little gown for him to put on. He didn't want to put the gown on, so he just stayed in his underwear. I thought it was cute for them to have little gowns for the kids, and it also hit me that he wasn't at a baby check-up, this was a big kid check-up. I had my list of questions for the doctor and he answered all of them for me. Will has gained 4 pounds and 4 inches, but the best part is that he's on the charts! He is in the 2% for his weight (26 pounds) and his height went up into the 33%(37 inches)! The doctor said that Will just has a high metabolism and that he is perfectly healthy. This is something that I've known for a long time, but it was nice to hear the doctor say it. He projected that Will is going to be built like me - normal height and thin. Dr. Ison asked Will a couple of questions, too. He asked Will what he wanted to do when he grew up. Will answered that he wanted to play soccer. He also asked Will what he liked to eat. Will answered that he likes peanut butter and jelly. I asked the doctor about Will's eating habits - the fact that he eats so slowly. It takes him about an hour to eat his dinner. Dr. Ison said that it was fine and it was just how he eats (funny - I remember sitting at the table all by myself when I was little.....). Will smiled and told Dr. Ison that he even finished his green bean last night. Dr. Ison commented on what a great boy we have (I agreed) and that he's doing great! It's strange to see my baby get so big - he's a little boy that's going to be off to pre-school in about 6 weeks! WOW!

Lauren's ear has cleared up, but she's back to not sleeping again. Turns out that she's cutting teeth - which is what we suspected. It was nice to have the doctor check that, though! He told me to put Children's Benadryl Allergy on her gums and that will numb it longer than oragel! She slept much better last night and I hope she cuts these teeth soon. While we were in there, I asked Dr. Ison if I could follow the same food progression with Lauren like I did with Will. He said yes! That means that I can start her on finger foods and meats! Lauren ate her first cheerios last night and she loved them! I also made her some apples and she loved that! I have a baby food book and it's pretty strange in it's food progressions, so I asked the doctor about a couple of foods and he said that I could basically feed her whatever I wanted except the obvious foods (like peanut butter, eggs, honey, strawberries, citrus, etc). She seems to like veggies better than fruits (go figure!), so I'm going to make her some squash and see if she likes that. We'll probably do carrots soon, too, because I usually mix the carrots with the chicken. Well, off to finish unpacking..... I'll post more pictures from our vacation soon. I still have one more destination to share with you - Medford, Oregon where we visited my Uncle Danny, Aunt Fran, and Grandma Niedermuller!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news on the checkups. We had SUCH a wonderful time with you and the kids, Julie. Thanks so much for the visit. Great Grandma was so thrilled.
Love,
Aunt Fran & Uncle Danny

Anonymous said...

Julie, Will, and Lauren,
I am so glad that you had such a good trip and that Grandma was able to go with you; I know that not only made the trip easier but also made it a terrific memory for all of you !!
Good news on the childrens' check-ups, too!! Lauren's daddy was a veggie eater, too. He ate his first tossed salad when he was about 14 months old. It even had Greek olives in it (ugh).
Can't wait to see ALL of you !!

Love,
Nonnie